Warning

The following views are those solely of Evan Nay, and do not in any way, shape, or form depict the opinions or views of potential viewers.

Friday, June 17, 2011

The Boot Epidemic

I'm a little concerned right now, about the fashion of the world. I understand that different settings justify different fashions to a certain extent, and that, for the most part, we all want to look our best at any given time. But there comes a time when I have to call this out: what's with the boots, ladies?

Growing up, I watched several western movies, and you better believe that the clinking of spurs, the heel-like sound of cowboy boots on hardwood saloon floors raised my heart-rate every time. The difference here between cowboy boots and spurs and today's seemingly 'boots for all occasions and weather' is that cowboy boots - at least in the old days - served a purpose.

I've never ridden a horse (Ok, once when I was about 5 I was on a horse, but if I counted that then I can also say my first kiss was when I was 2 hours old) but I do believe that spurs are there in an effort to control the speed of the horse. You want to go faster, or begin moving at all, dig in with them spurs (or shoot your gun). And the boot itself, do I even need to justify for the cowboys why they needed leather high top boots? They're effing cowboys.

Nowadays I'm a little baffled by the styles of boots making there way into the closets of naive girls everywhere. What's with the pirate boots? The cowboy boots with no spurs, a mini skirt, and obviously no purpose? Are those boots, that also have a stiletto heel that TSA would not allow you to take on a plane, comfortable to walk in? No, I didn't think so. I could tell from your half steps you take that make you look like Godzilla with...well, boots.

What's even worse is that no one is forcing this on anyone. It's not like you live in the wild west, with dust, bugs, snakes, or horse stirrups. Instead, you live in the world of flip flops, Toms, Nike, Adidas, Vans, Reebok, Etnies, Emerica, DC, and you still manage to believe that fur, platform/pump boots to be the shoe of choice in this 80 degree weather? At some point you have to realize that this habit will interfere with your tan line...

1 comment:

  1. some of us like to pretend we're cowboys. that's why i wear boots.

    ReplyDelete